If you wish to bill for the assistant items 51300 or 51303, MedicalDirector Bluechip will help you to calculate the correct amount to be invoiced.
Assistant items can be billed-for either;
o By the Assistant themselves, or
o By the principal provider, on behalf of the Assistant.
Both of these scenarios are covered below.
the invoice as normal, with included Service Items, and then add the Assistant
item at the end. Provided the Assistant record (and their associated Provider
Number) has been recorded correctly into Bluechip, when you enter the
Assistant item and press the Tab key, the Assistant
Item window will appear.
2. Via the Billing Type section, indicate whether in this instance the Assistant Item is being billed for by;
o A Surgeon, billing for Assistant items
on behalf of the Assistant. If
you select this option, you must also specify which Assistant the surgeon
is billing on behalf of.
o An Assistant, billing
for themselves. If you select
this option, you must specify the Assistant's surgeon.
3. The Invoiced Items section lists all the Service Items you are invoicing for. You may also list non-invoiced items by entering them in the Non Invoiced Items section. You may wish to do this if the fee you wish to charge is a percentage of one or more other Service Items.
4. If you wish to apply Multiple Procedure Scaling for non-invoiced items selected for Assistant Item fee calculation, tick the Multiple Procedure Scaling check box. Note that the Non-Invoiced Items section of this window will display a Fee column and a Scale column when this check box is ticked, and fees will be calculated using Multiple Procedure Scaling for applicable service items.
5. Indicate whether you will charge an overall Fixed Fee or a Percentage of specific Service Items; within the Calculate Fee as a section, select either the Percentage of Fees option, or the Fixed Fee option.
o If you choose the Fixed Fee option, you must specify the fee amount in the field provided. It is recommended that you also indicate which Service Items the fixed fee is associated with. Failure to do so may result in Medicare rejecting the claim.
o If you choose the Percentage of Fees option, you must also specify the percentage rate (e.g. 20%) in the field provided, and then indicate which Service Items you will charge the rate against, by ticking each item's associated fee check box. This option is selected in the example above. Note that if you have added items to the Non Invoiced Items section, it is assumed that each will be considered when your % fee is calculated. If you wish to remove an item from the Non Serviced Items section, select the item and click press CTRL + Delete on your keyboard.
confirm. You will be returned to the New
Invoice window. Note that the Assistant Item is now included, along
with its fee. Note also the Service Text description - this can be accessed
by clicking within the Service Text field and pressing SPACE + ENTER on
7. Click to issue the invoice.
You may be prompted to select an associated referral.
window appears. Enter the date on which the invoice was issued. The default
is today's date, but you can back-date it if you wish.
You will be prompted to print the invoice. The Invoices tab displays
the Assistant Item.